They may look small and innocuous... but the amazing super strength Chia Seed is anything but!
Because of it's substantial health benefits we have included Chia Seeds as one of our key 'superfood' ingredients in both the Funch Protein Power Ball and our Funch Superfood Snack Bar.
These are some of the amazing facts and health benefits we found about the humble Chia Seed:
- Chia is gluten free
- It is super high in dietary fibre, making it great for digestion and healing digestion issues
- It contains 20% Omega 3 ALA, making it a super food for the brain and heart. Chia has eight times more Omega 3 than salmon!
- It boasts 20% protein
- The protein is a complete protein with all 8 essential amino acids
- It is high in antioxidants (It has a four times higher ORAC value than blueberries)
- Chia contains five times more calcium than a glass of milk
- Chia contains seven times more vitamin C than oranges
- It contains three times more iron than spinach
- It contains twice the potassium content of banana
- It is food for healthy skin, hair and nails
- It has a positive impact balancing blood glucose levels (making it awesome for diabetics)
- Chia also makes a great egg replacement. Just combine with water to form a gel, and add it to recipes that call for egg
If you are interested in finding out more information about Chia Seeds, here are some interesting articles and links:
11 Proven Health Benefits of Chia Seeds
10 Reasons To Add Chia Seeds to your Diet
We have talked about the Chia's high Omega 3 levels... if you are interested to understand more about Fats and Oils, which are good and which are bad, take a look at this comprehensive article on the Better Health Channel.
There are many great sources of health information about Chia Seeds. We got this list of facts about Chia Seeds from The Wellness Warrior Blog